Recipe by spatchcock
Just bought many tins of anchovies at Trader Joe's and plan to use this as an appy. I can't wait-I LOOOOVE anchovies.
- 1 (2 ounce) canflat anchovies, rinsed patted dry, and minced
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 (1 lb) packagefrozen puff pastry sheet, thawed
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl with a fork mash anchovies with mayonnaise.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out both sheets of pastry into 14-inch squares and trim edges to form 13-inch squares.
- Brush off excess flour and spread anchovy mayonnaise evenly over 1 pastry sheet.
- Cover with remaining pastry sheet and press sheets together gently.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- With a 3- to 4-inch decorative cutter (a fish-shaped one would be the best!) cut pastry into shapes.
- Reserve scraps and cut into bite-size pieces to bake separately.
- (To eliminate scraps, you can forego decorative shapes altogether and simply cut pastry into squares.).
- Arrange pastries on lightly greased baking sheets and brush tops with egg wash.
- With the edge of a cookie cutter or the back of a sharp knife score fish.
- Bake pastries in oven until puffed and golden, 12 to 15 minutes.