Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
from the april edition of gourmet, this is simple and delicious. prep time doesn't incluse 1 hour of marinating.
- 6 garlic cloves
- 9 flat anchovy fillets, drained and patted dry
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 6 -7 lbs semiboneless leg of lamb, all but a thin layer of fat discarded and lamb tied (aitchbone removed)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Marinate lamb:.
- Mince garlic and anchovies and mash to a paste with a large heavy knife, then stir together with oil and rosemary in a small bowl. Pat lamb dry and transfer, fat side up, to rack in pan. Make several small 1-inch-deep slits in lamb with a paring knife, then rub marinade over entire surface of lamb, pushing some marinade into slits. Marinate lamb, loosely covered, at room temperature 1 hour.
- Roast lamb:.
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 400°F.
- Sprinkle lamb all over with salt and pepper, then roast until thermometer inserted into thickest part of lamb (almost to the bone but not touching it) registers 125°F for medium-rare, 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours (temperatures in thinner parts of leg may register up to 160°F). Let stand 30 minutes before slicing.
this was so yummy! i will be making my roasted legs of lamb this way from now on. i made a few changes, dried rosemary since that's what i had, anchovy paste instead of anchovy fillets, and reduced the olive oil. the flavors all blend together deliciously.
Oh my, this deserves more than 5 stars!! I used a 4 lbs boneless leg of lamb and cooked about 20 minutes per pound (thanks dee514 :))I was slightly worried about the amount of anchovies but my brother who positively hates anchovies, didn't even notice it, and would not stop eating! Thanks so much for this recipe!
This is a fantastic dish. I had it at a dinner party many years ago, and have made it for my own dinner party's. I'm delighted to see the recipe online. I agree entirely that the anchovy and garlic mix is just delicious. This dish is mouth-watering. Just even reading the recipe has put the longing on me for this dish. I want it now !!! Try cooking large roast potatoes around the lamb while roasting it, they pick up all the flavours on the bottom and burst open and are crunchy and tasty on top. YUM