Recipe by chia
from the april edition of gourmet, this is simple and delicious. prep time doesn't incluse 1 hour of marinating.
Top Review by graffeetee
this was so yummy! i will be making my roasted legs of lamb this way from now on. i made a few changes, dried rosemary since that's what i had, anchovy paste instead of anchovy fillets, and reduced the olive oil. the flavors all blend together deliciously.
- 6 garlic cloves
- 9 flat anchovy fillets, drained and patted dry
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 6 -7 lbs semiboneless leg of lamb, all but a thin layer of fat discarded and lamb tied (aitchbone removed)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Marinate lamb:.
- Mince garlic and anchovies and mash to a paste with a large heavy knife, then stir together with oil and rosemary in a small bowl. Pat lamb dry and transfer, fat side up, to rack in pan. Make several small 1-inch-deep slits in lamb with a paring knife, then rub marinade over entire surface of lamb, pushing some marinade into slits. Marinate lamb, loosely covered, at room temperature 1 hour.
- Roast lamb:.
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 400°F.
- Sprinkle lamb all over with salt and pepper, then roast until thermometer inserted into thickest part of lamb (almost to the bone but not touching it) registers 125°F for medium-rare, 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours (temperatures in thinner parts of leg may register up to 160°F). Let stand 30 minutes before slicing.