1/2 Photos of Ancho Pork Chops and Peppers
I use ancho chile powder a lot – it adds a nice, smoky flavor to dishes. This recipe adapted from Cooking Light turns ordinary pork chops into a Mexican-inspired meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons dried ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic granules or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 (4 ounce) boneless center cut pork chops (about 1/2 inch thick)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 3 cups sliced onions
- 1 1/2 cups red bell peppers, in 1/4-inch strips
- 1 1/2 cups green bell peppers, in 1/4-inch strips (you can substitute orange or yellow bell pepper if you donÂ’t like the green)
- 1 teaspoon dry sherry (or Mexican beer, if you prefer)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1In a small bowl combine the ancho powder, cumin, granulated garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- 2Rub the spice mixture onto both sides of the pork chops.
- 3Over medium-high temperature in a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil, then brown the pork chops, 4 minutes per side or until done (depending on the thickness of the chops); remove meat from pan and set aside, keeping warm.
- 4Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and the butter to the skillet you cooked the pork in and allow them to melt together, then add the onion, bell peppers, sherry, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and sauté for 4 minutes or until cooked to desired texture.
- 5Add the minced garlic cloves and sauté 1 additional minute, then remove from heat and stir in the lime juice; season to taste with freshly ground pepper.
- 6Serve browned pork chops and sautéed peppers together – they go well with rice and beans.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ancho Pork Chops and Peppers
Serving Size: 1 (362 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 325.7
- Calories from Fat 98
- Total Fat 10.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 88.7 mg
- Sodium 888.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 9.1 g
- Protein 35.9 g