Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A dark thick, rich, sweet, smoky sauce that keeps well in the refrigerator.
- 1⁄2 pint Jack Daniels Whiskey
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1 large onion, very finely chopped (I use food processor)
- 4 ancho chilies, seeded soaked in water enough to cover, then pureed
- olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon flour
- You can start the chilies to soak the day before if you like.
- Place them in a food processor until a puree.
- Place onion in processor until finely chopped. You don't want a lot of large bits in the sauce after it has cooked.
- Heat olive oil in sauce pan. Add onions and cook until soft.
- Add the Jack and cook until reduced by half.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook until reduced by half.
- Should be very dark and syrupy.
- If you need to thicken, use a little flour.
- This sauce is not hot, just slightly spicy sweet and smoky--great for anything.