Recipe by HotPepperRosemaryJelly
This roast is one of the many good reasons to grow ancho chilies! I found this recipe in our local "Area Woman" and it is a keeper! Enjoy! Bon Appetit! Great for company!
Top Review by threeovens
What a great idea for a spice rub! At first I thought it tasted weird, but by the second bite, it was delicious. I didn't follow the cooking directions, however. I cooked a 4 lb roast at 450 for 15 minutes, then turned it down to 325 until an internal meat thermometer registered 122 degrees. I then removed it from the oven and let it sit for 30 minutes. Perfectly, medium rare and juicy.
- 1 (3 -4 lb) round tip roast
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons dried ancho chile powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Combine rub ingredients; (all ingredients following the roast listed, minus the oil) and reserve 2 Tbs. for potatoes. Press remaining rub onto the beef. Use beef round tip roast.
- Place roast on rack in a shallow roasting pan. Insert oven proof meat thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of the beef, not resting in fat. (Do not overcook.).
- Meanwhile, mix reserved rub and oil and toss with potatoes. Roast Potatoes in a greased baking pan, covered for 1 hour. After 1 hour stir potatoes and leave pan uncovered and cook for another 10 to 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Put the potatoes in the oven during the last hour before roast should be done. I figure in resting time for roast or you can keep the potatoes warm in your convection oven which is what I do, cover back on.
- Remove the roast when the meat thermometer registers 140 degrees for medium rare; 155 degrees for medium. Let stand for 15 minutes and then carve the roast. Season with salt to your taste.
- Important - Let the roast stand and rest before cutting or it for 15 minutes or it won't cut nicely!
- Serve with potatoes.