Prep 2 mins
Cook 5 mins
This homemade chili powder will add a smoky depth to chili and as a dry rub for steaks. Put in pretty little glass bottles (sold at World Market) as gifts. From Tyler Florence.
- 3 ancho chilies, seeded and hand-torn into pieces
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon groun cumin
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Toast the ancho chile pieces over low heat in a dry skillet until fragrant, shaking the pan so they don't scorch.
- Put the chiles in a mini food processor and pulse to a powder. Add the remaining ingredients and process again to combine.