Recipe by ellie_
Spicy broiled or grilled marinated pork chops. I came across this recipe when I wanted to use up some ancho chilies and this fit the bill perfectly. If you want it spicier you may want to add another chili to the marinade mixture. Recipe adapted from Cooking Light (March, 2003). Prep time does not include marinating time (8 hours). Cook time is grilling or broiling time.
Top Review by Shelby Jo
My husband isn't a big fan of pork chops in general. He thinks they are always dry and boring. Well...you've given us a pork chop recipe that he actually likes!!! The chops were nice and tender with great flavor. It was a pretty easy recipe too -- the hardest part was to remember to prepare it the night before so it would have time to marinate. Super recipe, thanks for posting! Made for PRMR tag.
- 3 ancho chilies
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cup chicken broth (I use sodium free or fat free)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 dash allspice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion salt
- 4 -6 pork chops (1/2-3/4-inch thick)
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice only
- Pam cooking spray or other cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove stems and seeds from chilies.
- Tear chilies into pieces.
- Spray a skillet with Pam and heat over medium heat.
- Add chili pieces and cook for 15 seconds, stirring so chilies do not burn.
- Add garlic and cook 2 minutes.
- Add broth- allspice to chili/garlic mixture in skillet.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon vinegar.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low.
- Let mixture simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Place (cooled) mixture in blender or food processor and process until smooth using on/off turns.
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat and add chili/spice mixture and cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in sugar, salt, remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar and lemon juice.
- Put pork chops in marinating dish or zip-lock bag.
- Pour chili sauce over chops.
- Refrigerate marinated chops for up to 8 hours.
- Spray broiler rack with Pam or prepare grill (spray grill with Pam for easier clean up) for grilling chops.
- Remove pork chops from dish and prepare grill or preheat broiler.
- Spray broiler rack or grill with Pam.
- If grilling, grill for 5-10 minutes each side, basting with marinade.
- Time depends on degree of doneness desired and thickness of chops.
- If broiling, brush chops well with marinade.
- Broiler rack should be 6-inches below heat.
- Broil for 5-10 minutes per side (brush with marinade when turning chops) depending on degree of doneness and thickness of chops.