Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Spicy oven fries that are a snap to make.
- 2 unpeeled baking potatoes, scrubbed and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried ancho chile powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut potatoes in half lengthwise, then cut into 1/4-inch-thick slabs. Cut slabs lengthwise into strips, gently pat strips dry with paper toweling and place on a greased foil-lined baking sheet (you may need 2 baking sheets).
- In a small bowl, combine oil, chile powder, sugar, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Pour mixture over the potatoes, and gently toss to combine using your hands.
- Bake about 30 minutes until tender and golden brown, carefully turning once halfway through.
These were great. I diced them and served them alongside bacon, date and manchego quesadillas. They're sweet (almost reminds me of eating a sweet potato!) but not overly so. I did find I had to add more salt than suggested to cut the sweetness, so I may use less sugar next time. Just a personal preference.
Simple & the instructions were spot on. The flavor was slightly sweet & nicely spicy! I served with a chipolte & cilantro aoili for dipping. Made in memory of Janice.
Excellent flavor - we really enjoyed these fries. I didn't use any oil. After cutting the fries I placed them in a bowl of cold wter. Just before baking I lightly dabbed them with a paper towel and sprinkled on the mixed spices -It adheres well with the dampness of the potato. Thanks for posting