Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This no-bean Southwest-style chili is made with both ancho and chipotle chile peppers. It is high in both chile flavor and heat. Garnish with your favorite toppings, such as grated cheese or chopped onions, if desired. From McCormick website.
- 2 lbs boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 3⁄4 cups beef stock, Kitchen Basic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano leaves, Mexican (McCormick Gourmet Collection)
- 1 teaspoon cumin, Ground (McCormick Gourmet Collection)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced (1 cup)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (McCormick Gourmet Collection)
- 2 tablespoons chili peppers, Ancho (McCormick Gourmet Collection)
- 1 teaspoon chili pepper, Chipotle (McCormick Gourmet Collection)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons flour
- . Trim excess fat from beef. Cut beef into 5 or 6 large pieces. Place in 4-quart saucepan with stock, oregano and cumin; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours. Remove beef and cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Reserve stock and skim off excess fat.
- Heat oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic powder; cook and stir 4 to 5 minutes or until just tender. Add cooked beef, ancho and chipotle chile peppers, and salt; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes. Sprinkle with flour; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- Gradually add 1 1/2 cups of the reserved stock (including the herbed residue), stirring until thickened. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes to blend flavors.
- Serve with warmed flour tortillas, refried beans or cooked rice, if desired.