2 hrs 25 mins
1 hr 55 mins
This soup gets the wonderful Southwestern flavor from th ancho chili peppers (dried poblano chiles). Recipe from McCormick, the spice company
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 (6 inch) white corn tortillas, halved, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried ancho chile powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (32 ounce) carton chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 lb boneless chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- chopped avocado, sprinkled with (optional)
- lemon juice (optional)
- shredded monterey jack cheese (optional)
- chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2Lightly coat large baking sheet with non stick cooking spray.
- 3Spread tortilla strips on baking sheet; bake 9 to 10 minutes or until crisp and golden, stirring after 5 minutes.
- 4Set aside.
- 5Meanwhile, in large saucepan, heat oil.
- 6Add onion; cook 2 to 3 minuts.
- 7Stir in ancho pepper, garlic, cumin and bay leaves; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes.
- 8Add broth and tomatoes.
- 9Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes.
- 10Discard bay leaves.
- 11Thicken soup, if desired (see note).
- 12Place a few tortilla chips and a small amount of chicken in each serving bowl; add soup.
- 13top with avocado, cheese, additional tortilla strips and cilantro, if desired.
- 14Note:To thicken soup, allow to cool slightly; puree in blender or food processor.
- 15Return soup to saucepan and heat just before serving.
Browse Our Top Southwestern U.S. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Southwestern U.S. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ancho Chile Chicken Tortilla Soup
Serving Size: 1 (416 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 192.8
- Calories from Fat 101
- Total Fat 11.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 29.0 mg
- Sodium 658.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 14.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white corn tortillas