1 hr 15 mins
This is great with fresh tortilla chips
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 slices bacon, diced small
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 3 whole dried ancho peppers
- 2 tablespoons serrano peppers, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 5 cups potatoes, diced
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup quick-mixing flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup jalapeno jack cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2/3 cup green onion, sliced
- 1Cover ancho peppers with boiling water and let sit for 15 minutes.
- 2Cook the bacon in a stock pot on medium heat until crisp. Remove with slotted spoon and reserve.
- 3Add carrot, onion, peppers, cumin and garlic to pot. Stir and let brown. While browning drain the ancho peppers and seed and chop them. Add the ancho peppers to the pot with the carrot melange and continue browning.
- 4Pour the chicken broth into the pot and deglaze the pan. Add the potatoes and salt, bring to a boil, cover and simmer 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add the chicken, bring back to simmer, cover and cook 10 minutes more.
- 5Combine the flour and the milk with a whisk. Add to the pot and stir until soup thickens, about 10 more minutes. Remove from heat.
- 6Stir in the cheeses until melted. Taste to adjust the seasonings. To serve, sprinkle with chopped green onion.
- 7Store in freezer. Store onion in refrigerator.
- 8Reheating instructions: Thaw overnight in refrigerator. Heat on the stove in a pot very slowly. Don't let it come to a complete boil. Or heat in the microwave until warmed through.
- 9Serve with fresh tortilla chips or crusty bread.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ancho Chile Chicken Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (286 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 237.1
- Calories from Fat 78
- Total Fat 8.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 43.7 mg
- Sodium 611.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 18.2 g