1/3 Photos of Ancho and Chipotle Mole
The rich flavors of this mole are perfect with steak, pork, shrimp or beans, or simmer the sauce with chicken or turkey for a mole stew. Cooking time is chill time. MAKE AHEAD: The sauce can be refrigerated for 3 weeks. Recipe is a Food and Wine staff favorite from Marcia Kiesel. December 2001.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large ancho chilies
- 2 dried chipotle chiles
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken
- 3 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 10 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1In a bowl, cover the anchos and chipotles with the boiling water. Let soak for 30 minutes, until softened. Drain, reserving the liquid. Discard the stems, cores and seeds; coarsely chop the chiles.
- 2Preheat the broiler or light a gas flame. Char the peppers for 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until charred all over. Transfer to a medium bowl, cover with plastic and let steam for 5 minutes. Peel the peppers and discard the skin, stems and seeds, then coarsely chop.
- 3In a small dry skillet, toast the cloves, cumin and cinnamon stick over moderately low heat until darkened and fragrant, 1 1/2 minutes. Let cool. Grind to a powder in a spice grinder. Transfer to a plate. Add the sunflower seeds to the skillet and toast, shaking the pan a few times, about 3 minutes. Let cool. Transfer the seeds to the grinder; finely grind.
- 4Heat the oil in a medium skillet. Add the garlic and cook over low heat until golden, about 3 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, until glossy, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the chocolate until melted.
- 5In a blender, combine the chiles and their soaking liquid with the bell peppers, the ground spices, the ground sunflower seeds and the garlic mixture and blend until smooth. Scrape the mole into a large bowl and season with salt. Transfer the sauce to jars and refrigerate.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ancho and Chipotle Mole
Serving Size: 1 (819 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 106.0
- Calories from Fat 67
- Total Fat 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 48.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 2.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: