Prep 24 hrs
Cook 3 hrs
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried anasazi beans
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried pinto beans
- 10 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups dried hominy
- 3 green anaheim chilies, for garnish
- Soak the beans overnight in water to cover.
- In the morning rinse the beans with cold water and place in a large pot with fresh water to cover.
- Stir in the salt, cover and simmer slowly 2 to 2 1/2 hours, until the beans are tender.
- Add water when necessary and stir occasionally to prevent the beans from burning.
- Add hominy and simmer, covered, 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- The hominy and beans should be very soft and moist, but not too watery.
- While the beans and hominy are cooking, roast, peel, seed and dice the chiles.
- Sprinkle on top of the cooked beans for garnish.