Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
I love to cheat at cooking and this is one of the biggest cheats I know. It looks spectacular and tastes a dream but only takes a few simple ingredients and little time to produce.
- 1 large fresh pineapple
- 1 glass white rum
- coconut ice cream
- 4 egg whites
- 4 ounces caster sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- halve the pineapple down its length, cutting through the frond of green leaves at the top.
- Cut out the tough central "choke" from the two halves.
- Scoop out and chop the flesh, being careful not to damage the shell.
- Put the flesh and the rum into a freezer bag and put into the freezer for 6 hours or overnight.
- Put the shells into a freezer bag and freeze for 6 hours or overnight.
- Make a meringue by beating the egg whites with the salt until they form stiff peaks before folding in the sugar.
- Heat your oven to its maximum.
- Place the pineapple shells on a baking sheet and fill with the pineapple flesh and rum.
- Add scoops of coconut ice-cream.
- cover with the meringue being careful to seal it round the edges to the pineapple shells.
- Bake for 5 minutes or until the meringue is lightly set and the peaks are just browning.
- If you want to go really over the top you can stick a couple of sparklers in as you serve it!