Prep 4 hrs
Cook 30 mins
A Tao Restaurant homemade bread recipe. Time includes rising times. Use a 8 1/4 x 4 1/4 inch loaf pan.
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1 package fresh yeast or 1 package dried yeast
- 1⁄4 cup blackstrap molasses
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a larg bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm milk.
- Stir in the molasses and butter.
- Add the cornmeal and 1 cup flour and beat vigorously until smooth.
- Mix in salt and enough remaiing flour to make a stiff daough.
- Knead until smooth and elastic.
- Form dough into a ball and place it in a lightly oiled bowl.
- Turn it once to coat the surface with oil.
- Cover with a cloth and place in a warm area until it has doubled in size[approx 1 1/2- 2 hours].
- A closed car in a sunny spot is a good location.
- Punch the dough down and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Shape into 1 large loaf and place in well greased loaf tins.
- Allow to rise until almost doubled[45-60 minutes].
- Brush tops with beaten egg.
- Bake in a preheated 375 deg F oven for 30-35 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
This was a very good dense bread. We really enjoyed this!!! The directions are perfect!! Thanks for posting Karen