Prep 5 mins
Cook 4 hrs
An early American recipe. From DAK Breadmachine manual cookbook
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons yeast (1 package)
- 3 1⁄2 cups bread flour
- 1⁄3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons butter
- Place cornmeal into bowl.
- Carefully pour boiling water into cornmeal, stirring to make sure it is smooth.
- Let stand to cool for about 30 minutes.
- Stir in molasses, salt and butter.
- Place yeast in pan, then bread flour, the cornmeal mixture.
- Select white bread and push "start".
Great bread. Just be conservative with the amount of yeast as this really rises a LOT. I put the ingredients in in the usual wet->dry order and used very hot but not boiling water. This worked well and avoided the 30 minutes wait.