Recipe by Chef Roxanne D.
A dense, spicy pumpkin bunt cake so good it has to be fattening, but it's not ;). Made with healthy, filling oat bran, pumpkin purée, whole wheat flour, apples and real maple syrup, it's high in nutriens, vitamins and minerals (not to mention fiber) and low in calories, making it perfect for the dessert savvy ana or health nut.
- 2 cups oat bran
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups Almond Breeze non-dairy beverage
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup maple syrup
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons liquid stevia, extract (or 3 1/2 packets of powdered stevia extract)
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons maple extract
- 2 apples
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven at 325°F Lightly grease a 10 inch bunt pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine and mix the dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- In a seperate large mixing bowl, combine and mix the wet ingredients.
- Finely dice the apples and mix the peices with the 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients little by little and mix with electric mixer, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula if necessary. Mix until all of the ingredients are incorporated and moist. Stir in the diced apple with a spoon.
- Pour the batter into the prepared bunt pan and bake it in the pre-heated oven for 80 - 90 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool for 20 minutes, then remove from pan and place on wire rack to finish cooling. Slice and serve.