Recipe by drhousespcatcher
It's simply more simple but since it is no longer makes a good cupcake well, I changed the name.
- 10 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 7 ounces butter, cut into pieces
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, vegan friendly
- 6 ounces firm silken tofu
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar, sift before measuring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or 1⁄8 teaspoon peppermint extract or 1⁄8 teaspoon creme de menthe
Directions See How It's Made
- Note Soy milk: the amount of soy milk might vary for you depending on the type of flour and other conditions. It should be to consistency. In this case it created a smooth cake mix batter. If you don't feel you need it and don't want to omit it, add a teaspoons If you feel you need it you may add more than 3 tablespoons.
- NOTE Apple Cider vinegar: I used Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar because it is one of the sweetest I have tried. It worked extremely well. Other brands are at your own risk but they should work.
- Note the peppermint: 1 tsp peppermints gives a toned down Altoids flavor which is very good if you include the chocolate extract. Both flavors are rich and don't conflict but compliment. Try less 1/2 tsp for a lighter flavor. 1/4 tsp should work and give you a light peppermint edge to a chocolate cup cake. Also note, Creme De Menthe extract can be used in place of the peppermint.
- Applesauce: from two individual containers which are 3.9 ounces. It replaces the 8 ounces of oil called for in the original recipe. I don't think the flavor of this is going to matter nor what type of puree because the peppermint and chocolate will cover it. Note I have used flavored applesauce without a problem such as apple strawberry.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 12 standard muffin tin with papers.
- Sift the dry ingredients together. Mix the wet ingredients and add to the dry mixing until smooth.
- Fill the muffin tins evenly 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until a knife comes out clean.
- Remove from tin and cool completely on rack before frosting.
- A sprinkle of peppermints on top of your favorite frosting is not amiss for the finish.
- Chocolate Frosting:.
- In double boiler over simmering water melt chocolate.
- In food processor mix tofu, sugar and vanilla and then add chocolate and blend until smooth.