Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
Stuffing includes rice, chicken broth, and vegetables. Got the recipe from my sister but tweaked it a bit.
- 1 (6 ounce) package long grain and wild rice blend
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 1⁄3 cups celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely grated
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (6 ounce) box chicken flavor stuffing mix
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup chicken broth (Campbell's)
- Prepare and cook rice according to package directions.
- In a large skillet, melt butter, and saute celery,onion, bell pepper,carrot, and walnuts.
- Stir in cayenne pepper.
- Prepare chicken stuffing acording to package directions.
- In a large bowl, combine rice, celery-carrot mixture, egg, and prepared stuffing mix.
- Fold in chicken broth.
- Spoon mixture into a buttered 3 quart baking dish.
- Cover and bake for 35 minutes.
I disagree that this is an enjoyable stuffing....it's a great stuffing,that's packed full of texture and flavour.
DH and I really REALLY enjoyed this..the kids (3 and 6) complained about the walnuts (they only eat raw nuts!!)...so next time I would leave them out-but I don't think that it would suffer immensely from their omission.
I cooked mine at around 200-220 degrees for about 35-40 minutes..covered the entire time...and we thought that it came out perfectly.
Thanks for yet another yummy recipe Doug!!!
Made for Every day is a holiday Tag. This dish is delicious but there are a couple of instructions missing.What temperature to bake it at and also in the first instruction, its not clear, maybe you should edit it to read~ Prepare and cook stuffing and rice blend according to instructions. All in all...yummy side dish!