Recipe by red and white kitchen
Four layer Banana cake from scratch, fresh strawberries, sweetened whip cream, pineapple,peanuts,and fudge ice cream topping. Lots of steps but Really good!
Top Review by SweetSueAl
I chose this cake for my husband's birthday because he LOVES banana splits. I followed the recipe for the cake exactly. It didn't rise as high as I hoped, so when I sliced each layer in half, the resulting layers were extremely thin. I filled it following the recipe directions. I did not like the "rustic" way the cake looked (since it was a birthday celebration) so I piped whipped cream on the sides of the cake. I have a pic, but am having technical difficulties posting it to the recipe. It turned out to be delicious and a big hit with my hubby; he ate most of the cake!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (3 medium plus 1 more for garnish)
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, in juice- drain well
- 1 (11 ounce) jar chocolate fudge topping
- 1⁄2 cup chopped peanuts
Directions See How It's Made
- BANANA LAYER CAKE:.
- Grease and flour two 9 inch cake pans.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder. baking soda and salt in large bowl.
- Add to flour mixture banana, buttermilk, shortening, eggs and vanilla.Beat on medium speed 3 minutes.
- Pour evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes and remove from pans.
- Finish cooling completely.
- Using a long serrated knife, cut each layer of cake in half. Set aside.
- SWEETENED WHIPPED CREAM:.
- In a chilled mixing bowl (clean and free of any grease) combine 1 cup whipping cream and 1 tablespoon sugar. Beat with chilled beaters of mixer on low to medium speed until soft peaks form (tips will curl). Do not over beat.
- Divide whipped cream in half. Fold strawberries into one half and drained pineapple into the other half.
- Heat and stir fudge over low heat until just warm.
- Place 1st layer of cake on platter, top with strawberry cream spreading to the edge.
- Place 2nd layer on top of 1st. Spread 1/2 of warm fudge,let some of it drizzle down the sides. Sprinkle with 1/2 of peanuts.
- Place 3rd layer on top of 2nd. Top with pineapple cream spreading to edge.
- Place 4th layer on top of 3rd. Spread remaining warm fudge over, again letting some drizzle down sides. Sprinkle with remaining peanuts. Garnish with last banana sliced.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate.