Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
Four layer Banana cake from scratch, fresh strawberries, sweetened whip cream, pineapple,peanuts,and fudge ice cream topping. Lots of steps but Really good!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (3 medium plus 1 more for garnish)
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, in juice- drain well
- 1 (11 ounce) jar chocolate fudge topping
- 1⁄2 cup chopped peanuts
- BANANA LAYER CAKE:.
- Grease and flour two 9 inch cake pans.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder. baking soda and salt in large bowl.
- Add to flour mixture banana, buttermilk, shortening, eggs and vanilla.Beat on medium speed 3 minutes.
- Pour evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes and remove from pans.
- Finish cooling completely.
- Using a long serrated knife, cut each layer of cake in half. Set aside.
- SWEETENED WHIPPED CREAM:.
- In a chilled mixing bowl (clean and free of any grease) combine 1 cup whipping cream and 1 tablespoon sugar. Beat with chilled beaters of mixer on low to medium speed until soft peaks form (tips will curl). Do not over beat.
- Divide whipped cream in half. Fold strawberries into one half and drained pineapple into the other half.
- Heat and stir fudge over low heat until just warm.
- Place 1st layer of cake on platter, top with strawberry cream spreading to the edge.
- Place 2nd layer on top of 1st. Spread 1/2 of warm fudge,let some of it drizzle down the sides. Sprinkle with 1/2 of peanuts.
- Place 3rd layer on top of 2nd. Top with pineapple cream spreading to edge.
- Place 4th layer on top of 3rd. Spread remaining warm fudge over, again letting some drizzle down sides. Sprinkle with remaining peanuts. Garnish with last banana sliced.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate.
I chose this cake for my husband's birthday because he LOVES banana splits. I followed the recipe for the cake exactly. It didn't rise as high as I hoped, so when I sliced each layer in half, the resulting layers were extremely thin. I filled it following the recipe directions. I did not like the "rustic" way the cake looked (since it was a birthday celebration) so I piped whipped cream on the sides of the cake. I have a pic, but am having technical difficulties posting it to the recipe. It turned out to be delicious and a big hit with my hubby; he ate most of the cake!