Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is my fall back dessert. My Mum brought the recipe back from Canada when she and Dad lived there before I was born. I don't make this very often as it is quite rich, but, oh so yummy. I also usually make 2 as it freezes so well without the topping. And then I put a seasonal fruit topping of my choice when it has defrosted. Sometimes I use digestive biscuits for the base, and sometimes chocolate chip or even ginger biscuits. You can ring the changes, it's all good.
- Crush biscuits and add melted butter.
- Mix together till all crumbs are coated with the butter and put into an 8-inch loose bottom tin. Press down and a little up the sides.
- Put into the fridge to set whilst you make the cake.
- Place cream cheese into a bowl and beat for a minute or two to soften and smooth it. Add the whole can of condensed milk and beat it.
- Then add the lemon juice and beat that inches You will notice that it is beginning to thicken at this point. Have a little taste to see that it is lemony enough.
- Pour the rest over the base and leave to set.
- For the topping.
- Either put fresh fruit straight on the top or.
- Gently poach a little fruit e.g. blueberries or raspberries in a little water (sugar to taste).
- Place the fruit on the cake.
- Add the cornflour to the remaining juices to thicken slightly and then use to glaze your fruit giving a nice shine.