Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Comfort food at its finest. My husband and children love this meaty classic with yummy mashed potatoes. I like to use this recipe for mashed potatoes http://www.recipezaar.com/Perfect-Mashed-Potatoes-340736 Be sure to double or triple this recipe as it freezes well.
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 lb peeled and sliced carrot (can do less if you like)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cooked ground turkey or 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef or 1 1⁄2 lbs ground venison
- 4 cups mashed potatoes
- Melt butter/ heat up oil in large stockpot or sauce pan (depending on how large a recipe you are making) and saute onions and carrots until tender.
- Stir in flour and cook one minute.
- Gradually add beef broth and bring to a boil stir constantly.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, tomato sauce, worcestershire, oregano and ground meat.
- Cover pan and reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or so.
- At this point it is ready to freeze in freezer bags after cooling if you like. I like to freeze my mashed potatoes in freezer bags and then thaw both overnight in fridge and then assemble.
- I like to serve it to my family at this point with Perfect Mashed Potatoes on the side as that is how my kids like this.
- However, you can also pour into a sprayed baking dish (8x8 if one recipe), top with Perfect Mashed Potatoes and bake at 400 for 20-30 minutes until heated through.