Recipe by WI Cheesehead
I adapted a meatloaf recipe to add more healthy ingredients and give it some more kick. It comes out tasty and the sauce is a great addition.
Top Review by little_wing
I enjoyed this very much. The flax seeds and oatmeal made for a very nice texture that I enjoyed because it reminded me that the meatloaf was healthy...DD hated it for the same reason! I think it just depends on how close minded the people eating it are to healthy alternative recipes. I found the seasoning to be perfect and the topping delightully different. Left out the cheese to keep the fat to a minimum but I'm sure with that addition, even DD would love it. Thanks for posting!
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute or 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup wheat bran or 1⁄2 cup oat bran
- 3⁄4 cup oatmeal
- 1⁄2 cup ground flax seeds
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup horseradish sauce
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Mix together all ingredients, except the brown sugar and mustard.
- Pat into an oval shape and place in a 9x13 pan.
- Cover with foil and bake for 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the brown sugar and mustard together until it forms a paste.
- After meatloaf bakes for 50 min, remove and cover with the paste.
- Cook for 10 minute longer.