Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
I made this up one day just experimenting. I love this sauce, and so does my family. I am guessing on the serving size, as it makes a big pot. I usually freeze the left overs.
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes with basil and garlic
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 cup merlot
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large vidalia onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons brown sugar
- extra virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
- salt and pepper, to taste (to your liking)
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- Saute onion, garlic& carrot in olive oil over medium heat until tender.
- Add ground beef and brown until no longer pink.
- Add oregano, basil, garlic powder, parsley flakes,salt& pepper (to your liking)& worcestershire sauce.
- Add Merlot wine, simmer a few minutes.
- Add rest of ingredients and stir well.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for at least 5 hours stirring occasionally.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Serve over cooked spaghetti noodles.
Made exactly as written. We found this a little too sweet for our taste but otherwise the flavor was good. I would make it again but change up the spices a little or use 1/2 beef and 1/2 sausage for a little more kick. I might decrease the amount of carrot a little. If you enjoy a sweet sauce you will like this one. Thanks!
I didn't follow the recipe exactly as I wanted a smaller amount so used only a 6 oz can of tomato paste and omitted the 14.5oz can of tomatoes. The result was a nice, tasty and thick sauce! Excellent.
Delcious! I changed it up a bit and added a can of petite diced tomatoes, subbed the canned mushrooms for fresh and added a can of black olives! It was great. Made a huge pot. Great for a crowd.