Recipe by MackinacBride
My co-worker, Amy, gave me this recipe today. She swears it is the "best hashbrown casserole in the world".
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
- 2 cups Velveeta cheese, grated (I just cut into cubes)
- 2 lbs frozen hash browns (diced or shredded)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 cups corn flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion in 1/2 cup butter.
- Combine onion/butter mixture in a bowl with salt, pepper, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, Velveeta cheese, and hash browns; mix until combined.
- Pour mixture into a greased 9x13 pan.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes to1 hour.
- Remove foil and stir well.
- Melt the 1/4 cup butter and combine with the cornflakes.
- Toss well, until coated.
- Spread on top of potato mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, for 15 more minutes, or until corn flake mixture is toasty.