Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
My co-worker, Amy, gave me this recipe today. She swears it is the "best hashbrown casserole in the world".
- Saute onion in 1/2 cup butter.
- Combine onion/butter mixture in a bowl with salt, pepper, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, Velveeta cheese, and hash browns; mix until combined.
- Pour mixture into a greased 9x13 pan.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes to1 hour.
- Remove foil and stir well.
- Melt the 1/4 cup butter and combine with the cornflakes.
- Toss well, until coated.
- Spread on top of potato mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, for 15 more minutes, or until corn flake mixture is toasty.
I love this casserole. My mother-in-law makes one like it, but it just used shredded cheese. I love the velveeta. Thanks for a great recipe!
Hats off to your friend MackinacBride for a popular and devouring dish! Took this to a Boy Scout event for my DS and there was 2 potato dishes there and this one was gone within the first 30 people passing it by on the buffet table. There was a ceremony prior to eating and the women in charge of setting the table opened it up about 15 minutes before the ceremony was done and I swear it was all everyone could smell! I saw heads turning to the back to see what was uncovered and unfortunately doubling the recipe was not enough for everyone. As I said, I doubled the recipe using a total of 4 lbs of Velveeta and adding 4 tsp of Garlic Powder(just a personal preference). Each single recipe will feed 15 people as a buffet side dish and the only bad thing I have to say about this was that my DS & the other scouts were the last to go through the buffet line and he didn’t get any ;). Oh well, will just have to add these to my Xmas buffet menu :). Thanks again for winner!