Recipe by Sooz Cooks
This is my daughter's absolute favorite meal and she requests it any time she can. She always has me make it for her new boyfriends' first meal at our house. Hopefully I can stop making them for that occasion because I really like her current boyfriend (UPDATE 2008: Guess I have to keep making these 'cuz the boyfriend turned fiance ended up being a DUD) :-)! Everyone always gives this meal great reviews and although it is a bit time-consuming, it is very much worth it! Start the Meat and Bean Mixture first and then when you take the lid of the pan to reduce the liquid, start the Fry Bread recipe so that they are still warm when you are ready to serve.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- vegetable oil (for frying)
Meat and Bean Mixture
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 (16 ounce) canold el paso refried beans
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packageold el paso taco seasoning mix
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- sour cream
- shredded lettuce
- shredded cheese
- diced tomato
- chopped onion
Directions See How It's Made
- For Meat/Bean Mixture (start first):.
- Thoroughly combine uncooked ground beef, refried beans, taco seasoning mix and water.
- Bring mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Uncover and continue to simmer until liquid is reduced and mixture is thick. This usually takes another 20 minutes or so - just enough time to make the Fry Bread.
- For Fry Bread Tacos:.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt together well.
- Add water gradually making sure the dough is stiff.
- Pull off egg-sized balls of dough and quickly roll, pull, and on a floured surface pat them out into large, plate-sized rounds. They should be thin in the middle and about 1/4 inch thick around the edges.
- Using a fork poke holes in the dough to prevent bubbles from forming.
- In skillet, heat 1/2-inch vegetable oil. Brown dough circles on each side until golden brown. You will need to stand over the skillet and with your fork and poke at any bubbles that may come up.
- When golden brown, lift from oil, shake gently to remove bulk of oil, and place on paper towels to drain.
- Spread meat/bean mixture on Fry Bread and top with your favorite toppings.