1/1 Photo of Amy's Favorite Indian Fry Bread Tacos
1 hr 30 mins
Sooz Cooks's Note:
This is my daughter's absolute favorite meal and she requests it any time she can. She always has me make it for her new boyfriends' first meal at our house. Hopefully I can stop making them for that occasion because I really like her current boyfriend (UPDATE 2008: Guess I have to keep making these 'cuz the boyfriend turned fiance ended up being a DUD) :-)! Everyone always gives this meal great reviews and although it is a bit time-consuming, it is very much worth it! Start the Meat and Bean Mixture first and then when you take the lid of the pan to reduce the liquid, start the Fry Bread recipe so that they are still warm when you are ready to serve.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Meat and Bean Mixture
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 (16 ounce) can old el paso refried beans
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package old el paso taco seasoning mix
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1For Meat/Bean Mixture (start first):.
- 2Thoroughly combine uncooked ground beef, refried beans, taco seasoning mix and water.
- 3Bring mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- 4Uncover and continue to simmer until liquid is reduced and mixture is thick. This usually takes another 20 minutes or so - just enough time to make the Fry Bread.
- 5For Fry Bread Tacos:.
- 6Mix flour, baking powder and salt together well.
- 7Add water gradually making sure the dough is stiff.
- 8Pull off egg-sized balls of dough and quickly roll, pull, and on a floured surface pat them out into large, plate-sized rounds. They should be thin in the middle and about 1/4 inch thick around the edges.
- 9Using a fork poke holes in the dough to prevent bubbles from forming.
- 10In skillet, heat 1/2-inch vegetable oil. Brown dough circles on each side until golden brown. You will need to stand over the skillet and with your fork and poke at any bubbles that may come up.
- 11When golden brown, lift from oil, shake gently to remove bulk of oil, and place on paper towels to drain.
- 12Spread meat/bean mixture on Fry Bread and top with your favorite toppings.
Browse Our Top Native American Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Native American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Amy's Favorite Indian Fry Bread Tacos
Serving Size: 1 (396 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 541.2
- Calories from Fat 166
- Total Fat 18.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 77.1 mg
- Sodium 988.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 31.6 g