Recipe by Amy V.
This recipe is based loosely on Napa Style's Home-Style Onion Soup. It's amazing with freshly made croutons of a rosemary-type bread.
- 14.79-29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 4 yellow onions, sliced
- kosher salt
- 14.79 ml finely chopped fresh sage
- 59.14 ml balsamic vinegar
- 946.36 ml chicken stock
- 10 croutons
- 118.29 ml gruyere cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over high heat.
- Add the garlic and cook briefly.
- Add the onions and a dash of salt.
- Cook over med-high heat and stir, approximately 7 minutes Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are golden brown.
- This will take about 25 minutes.
- Add the sage and vinegar and cook until the liquid evaporates.
- Add the stock and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Turn on the broiler.
- Ladle the soup into 4 flameproof serving dishes.
- Top with the croutons and cheese.
- Broil until the cheese melts, then serve immediately.