Amy V.'s Note:
This recipe is based loosely on Napa Style's Home-Style Onion Soup. It's amazing with freshly made croutons of a rosemary-type bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over high heat.
- 2Add the garlic and cook briefly.
- 3Add the onions and a dash of salt.
- 4Cook over med-high heat and stir, approximately 7 minutes Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are golden brown.
- 5This will take about 25 minutes.
- 6Add the sage and vinegar and cook until the liquid evaporates.
- 7Add the stock and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 8Turn on the broiler.
- 9Ladle the soup into 4 flameproof serving dishes.
- 10Top with the croutons and cheese.
- 11Broil until the cheese melts, then serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Amy's Favorite French Onion Soup
Serving Size: 1 (385 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 233.8
- Calories from Fat 97
- Total Fat 10.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 22.0 mg
- Sodium 397.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 10.9 g
- Protein 11.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: