Recipe by DoxieMama
I made this up, loosely based on a chicken dish I had at a friend's house. You can always experiment with different cream soups and veggies. I buy a frozen bag of seasoning vegetables-onions, bell peppers and celery. I keep a bag of this on hand and use it for a lot of recipes. This cuts down on a lot of prep time. I also buy fresh mushrooms when they are on sale and freeze them, too.
Top Review by Susie D
I found this to be an enhanced version of the Campbell's soup recipe for a skillet dinner. It is easy comfort food and a nice standby for a busy night. I did appreciate all of the vegetables & used a red pepper to add some needed color. I also used the chicken broth option. Made for Spring '09 Pick A Chef.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup prosciutto or 1⁄4 cup bacon, diced
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of onion soup
- 1⁄4 cup white wine or 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Pound the chicken breast to even thickness.
- Heat olive oil in a large deep skillet. Season breasts as preferred and then brown.
- Remove breasts, set aside. Add more oil if needed, then saute all veggies for about 5 minutes If using bacon, add that too, it takes longer to cook than the prosciutto.
- After 5 minutes add the diced prosciutto and garlic. Saute for another minute or 2.
- Add cream soup and wine, stir until well combined.
- Return chicken to pan, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. I usually turn the chicken once. You can season sauce further if needed. I think that it only needs a little fresh ground pepper to top it off.
- This goes great with long grain and wild rice.