Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Created this for a backyard cookout one night at Mom and Pop's house with the neighbors. I call it "slaw" because it's texture and consistency is like a slaw, but the ingredients are not. I am a total dill pickle freak, as my mother is not. I can drink the juice if left alone with the empty jar long enough. We were pleasantly surprised with the outcome of the taste. Just like with any slaw recipe, you will need to adjust the mayo (please use only mayo, it does make a difference!) to how "saucy" you like it. We like ours pretty saucy. Also, the amounts of the ingredients are at your own taste.
- 1⁄2-1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup kosher dill pickle, diced
- 1⁄3 cup sweet onion, diced
- 2 cups iceberg lettuce, shredded fine
- Stir together the lettuce, onion, and pickles.
- Add the mayonnaise to the desired consistency.
- Cover and refrigerate at least one hour to let the flavors marry before serving.
- NOTE: The key here is to get the lettuce fine enough it doesn't become something you're pulling off your burger at the first bite. Make sure it's fine, but not overly chopped.
We used way less mayo (1/3 cup) and it was just right on a burger!
Wow...this is the best!!! My three favorite hamburger toppings all in one place. I made this with Auntie Jan's Doozie of a Floozie Burger, (#231245 ) it came out very tasty. Used vidalia onions, dill pickles and packaged lettuce 'shreds". They made this super easy and super fast. Hubby and son loved it. I think most of the future burgers in this house will have this on them. Thanks for posting this recipe.
I loved this. I could eat it all by itself, but it is great on burgers.