Recipe by Redneck Epicurean
Created this for a backyard cookout one night at Mom and Pop's house with the neighbors. I call it "slaw" because it's texture and consistency is like a slaw, but the ingredients are not. I am a total dill pickle freak, as my mother is not. I can drink the juice if left alone with the empty jar long enough. We were pleasantly surprised with the outcome of the taste. Just like with any slaw recipe, you will need to adjust the mayo (please use only mayo, it does make a difference!) to how "saucy" you like it. We like ours pretty saucy. Also, the amounts of the ingredients are at your own taste.
- 1⁄2-1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup kosher dill pickle, diced
- 1⁄3 cup sweet onion, diced
- 2 cups iceberg lettuce, shredded fine
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir together the lettuce, onion, and pickles.
- Add the mayonnaise to the desired consistency.
- Cover and refrigerate at least one hour to let the flavors marry before serving.
- NOTE: The key here is to get the lettuce fine enough it doesn't become something you're pulling off your burger at the first bite. Make sure it's fine, but not overly chopped.