1/3 Photos of Amy's Chicken and Black Bean Enchilada Casserole
Amy Dyke's Note:
This perfectly spiced casserole packs an explosion of flavors for your taste buds! The coriander and cumin lend a rich, smoky flavor to the chicken, cilantro and bean mixture, while the creamy enchilada sauce ties it all together. This easy recipe is best topped with a dollop of sour cream, chopped romaine lettuce and tomatoes. Yum!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 cups boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 pieces
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 15 ounces black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
- 2 (10 ounce) cans red enchilada sauce, medium heat
- 8 ounces low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 4 ounces low-fat sour cream
- 4 1/2 ounces diced green chili peppers, drained
- 16 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded low-fat monterey jack cheese
- 1Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onion and chicken for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper. Continue to sauté until chicken is thoroughly cooked through, about 10 more minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the cilantro, then gently fold in the rice and black beans.
- 2In a sauce pan over low-medium heat, stir together 1-10 oz. can of enchilada sauce, the cream cheese, sour cream and chili peppers. Remove from heat when fully incorporated. Add sauce to chicken mixture.
- 3Spray the bottom of a 10x13 baking dish. Place 6 tortillas on the bottom of the pan, overlapping them to make a solid row of tortillas.
- 4Spoon half of the chicken mixture over the tortillas and sprinkle on ¾ cup cheese. Layer again with 6 tortillas, the rest of the chicken mixture, followed by ¾ cup cheese. Cover casserole with 4 tortillas, the second 10 oz. can of enchilada sauce and then sprinkle the remaining ½ cup cheese over the top.
- 5Cover with aluminum foil (I spray the inside cover so the cheese doesn’t stick) and bake for 45 minutes in a preheated 375 degree F oven. Remove the foil and bake an additional 15 minutes, or until nicely browned on top.
- 6Let rest for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Amy's Chicken and Black Bean Enchilada Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (303 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 731.3
- Calories from Fat 209
- Total Fat 23.2 g
- Saturated Fat 12.3 g
- Cholesterol 59.9 mg
- Sodium 1591.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 102.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.1 g
- Sugars 10.5 g
- Protein 30.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
boneless skinless chicken breasts