Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
These make a great side dish for a meal or an appetizer for a party. The hard part about this recipe is not eating them while you're cooking. This is my spin on another recipe. The yield really does depend on how big you make the balls.
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 16 ounces frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Squeeze the broccoli in paper towels to get as much of the water out as possible.
- Whisk the eggs lightly and stir together with the broccoli and cheese and enough flour to make the dough hold together.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or until stiff enough to roll into balls.
- Roll the mixture into balls using 1 tbsp of the mix. Roll each in the bread crumbs.
- Heat a large pan with enough oil to deep fry to 375 degrees.
- Drop a few balls in at a time, making sure they do not stick together or touch. Fry until golden brown.
I liked these and will definitely be making them again, but I think I need to play around with the seasoning. Cooked one tray, tasted them, and added some garlic seasoning to the rest of the mix, which we really liked. Also, instead of frying, I baked them. I'll be using these for an upcoming babyshower I'm hosting. Thank you!
These are very good. I did bake them instead of frying but I will be making these again.
"Wow, these are good!" That was my husband's comment on eating one of these little beauties. We all enjoyed them very much. I used fresh broccoli, which I chopped up and cooked, then chilled in the freezer for a bit. We think they would be even more delightful with a bit of tabasco added into the mix. Something I will make again, and think of our Redneck Epicurean.