Recipe by Amy in Hawaii
The sweet and sour sauce works well with beef or pork ribs or roasts. The original recipe was intended for grilling but it works equally well under a broiler.
Top Review by Marla Swoffer
I chose this recipe because it was the shortest cooking time, and yet the ribs (beef back ribs that were $1.99/lb) came out quite tender! Not falling off the bone but not labor intensive chewing either. The sauce was extremely delicious--I subbed canned diced peaches for the baby food, but next time I might just use a few teaspoons of apricot jam since I think it would achieve the same fruity effect. I also subbed a splash of lemon juice concentrate for the lemon slices. And I left out the bell pepper.
- 4 lbs beef back ribs or 4 lbs pork ribs or 4 lbs baby back ribs
- 1⁄2 cup round onion, chopped
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried leaf thyme, crushed
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
- 4 ounces strained peaches baby food
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare ribs:.
- Beef ribs:Place beef rib slabs in a single layer on a broiler pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes, then turn ribs and continue baking until done 20 to 30 minutes more.
- Pork ribs: Place pork ribs in a large stock pot and fill with water until ribs are covered. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer ribs, skimming off any foam until ribs are fork tender, approximately 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Remove ribs. Reduce and save stock for soups.
- Barbecue sauce: Heat oil in skillet and saute garlic,onion, and bell pepper until tender. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place prepared ribs concave side down on broiler pan in a single layer. Brush or spoon on sauce and broil 8-10 minutes until sauce starts to brown. Turn ribs over and pour remaining sauce on ribs and continue to broil another 8-10 minutes.
- Slice ribs between the bones and serve hot.