Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
The sweet and sour sauce works well with beef or pork ribs or roasts. The original recipe was intended for grilling but it works equally well under a broiler.
- 4 lbs beef back ribs or 4 lbs pork ribs or 4 lbs baby back ribs
- 1⁄2 cup round onion, chopped
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried leaf thyme, crushed
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
- 4 ounces strained peaches baby food
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- Prepare ribs:.
- Beef ribs:Place beef rib slabs in a single layer on a broiler pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes, then turn ribs and continue baking until done 20 to 30 minutes more.
- Pork ribs: Place pork ribs in a large stock pot and fill with water until ribs are covered. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer ribs, skimming off any foam until ribs are fork tender, approximately 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Remove ribs. Reduce and save stock for soups.
- Barbecue sauce: Heat oil in skillet and saute garlic,onion, and bell pepper until tender. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place prepared ribs concave side down on broiler pan in a single layer. Brush or spoon on sauce and broil 8-10 minutes until sauce starts to brown. Turn ribs over and pour remaining sauce on ribs and continue to broil another 8-10 minutes.
- Slice ribs between the bones and serve hot.
I chose this recipe because it was the shortest cooking time, and yet the ribs (beef back ribs that were $1.99/lb) came out quite tender! Not falling off the bone but not labor intensive chewing either. The sauce was extremely delicious--I subbed canned diced peaches for the baby food, but next time I might just use a few teaspoons of apricot jam since I think it would achieve the same fruity effect. I also subbed a splash of lemon juice concentrate for the lemon slices. And I left out the bell pepper.