Prep 0 mins
Cook 40 mins
From the Amy Vanderbilt cookbook posted to www.dgustibus.com
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups sliced pared ripe pears
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Prepare your favorite pastry. Roll out half of it and line a 9 inch plate. Heat oven to hot [425F].
- Combine the first ingredients to salt [sugar to salt] Mix.
- Sprinkle over pears in bowl. toss lightly to coat.
- Pour pear mix into pie pan. Sprinkle with lemon juice and then peel. Add dabs of butter.
- Roll out remaining half of pastry. Gash with decorative slits. Place over pie. Trim and seal. Flute or crimp edges.
- Bake at 40 to 45 minutes or until pastry on top is golden and done. Serve slightly warm [vanilla ice cream anyone or as Amy recommends a very good cheese?]
- Makes six servings.