Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a sweet cornbread similar to Smokey Bones cornbread. It is really light and is wonderful with honey butter!
- 2⁄3 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Lightly grease an 8-inch iron skillet.
- In a large bowl, beat together sugar, salt, butter and vanilla until creamy. Stir in eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and cornmeal. Stir flour mixture into egg mixture alternately with the milk. Beat well until blended.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve warm with honey butter.
Big hit!! Very tasty!!
Delicious ! So easy to make, and so good to eat. I like it best warm from the oven, but it's still good at room temp the next day. This recipe will replace all other cornbread recipes in my collection ! Note added 6/22/09...this works as muffins just as well, and it also freezes very well.
I chose this recipe because we LOVE the 'Smoky Bones' cornbread, and this one did NOT disappoint -- it is light, and has a delightful cornbread flavor. I reduced the sugar to a half-cup based on other reviews, and did not find it too sweet at all. However, we also created a "pecan maple butter" to go with it (similar to what Smoky Bones serves with theirs) which went with this cornbread fabulously well, but also made the whole experience quite a bit sweeter! Still a delightful accompaniment to our homemade chili, though, even with the sweet butter.