Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Don't be scared, time to get fancy! I am totally into elegant dishes, and this is one of my favorites. Amuse-Boushe "a little bite" of a flavorful soup to begin a dinner party. This is NOT a large quantity soup, it is designed to be a small taste, prior to dinner. COOKS NOTE: This can be made ahead of time.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons onions, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon lobster base
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup brie cheese (rind removed)
- 8 pea pods
- 8 pieces crabmeat
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and cook, stirring constantly until the onions are soft and translucent, do not let it brown. About 5-8 minutes.
- Whisk in the flour, stirring constantly until incorporated. Add the chicken broth and lobster base, continue to whisk constantly until mixture thickens. About 3-5 minutes tops, use your judgment
- At this point, the soup can be covered and set aside until serving time.
- Just before serving, heat the mixture and add the cream and brie cheese, do not let it boil.
- Do a taste test; if too salty, add more cream; if not salty enough, add Kosher salt to taste.
- Serve the soup in demitasse cups. Measure out approximately 2 tablespoons per cup.
- Open each pea pod and fill with a piece of crab meat. Lay the pea pod filled with the crab meat across the demitasse cup and serve.