Prep 4 hrs
Cook 0 mins
This Was given to me by a dear friend's daughter and it is worth sharing and keeping here for safe keeping hope you all enjoy as much as we did.
- 2 tomatillos
- 1⁄2 bunch cilantro
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 (8 ounce) package buttermilk ranch dressing, made according to directions on the pack then add the blended ingredients and chill. the longer this
- 5 lbs chicken breasts (no bones)
- 1 (16 ounce) bottleof kraft zesty Italian dressing
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 3 gloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups rice (instant rice works best)
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon
- 4 gloves garlic
- 1⁄2 bunch cilantro
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 onion
- Make the dressing by blending all the ingredients together in a blender. The longer this can sit and chill the better the flavor will enhance.
- Chicken: Put in crock pot for 4 hours then shred and replace for 1 hour to soak up the juice.
- Rice: Blend in the blender the following: bouillon, garlic, cilantro, green chilies, salt, butter and onion.
- Let water come to a boil; add rice and blended ingredients. Let rest until rice is done.
- What we did was put a tortilla in a frying pan and added cheese on it until it became slightly crisp then layered chicken, rice, romaine lettuce, fresh lime and the dressing.
- This was a easy and very good recipe and the leftovers were great!
I made the chicken and the dressing listed here but I used my own rice recipe. I was nervous about the chicken since it was so easy and had few ingredients but it turned out perfectly! I ended up using a 3 lb bag of frozen chicken but kept all other ingredients the same as listed and it was so good. I cooked it in the crockpot on low for 8 hours then I shredded the meat and put it back in the crockpot and placed it in the fridge over night. Then about an hour before dinner the next night, I turned the crock pot on high and warmed it back up. Saved me some time that day. The dressing was really tasty too. I used one jalape?o but I didn't use any of the seeds. Me, my husband and my two young kids all enjoyed this. I ate the leftovers for two days after. Thanks!
This chicken recipe is great. I prefer my own cilantro rice recipe which doesn't use as much rice and doesn't use instant rice. I have not tried this dressing recipe yet (I have my own recipe for cilantro sauce submitted)... but I do want to try this recipe since I have not yet found a cafe rio copycat dressing that comes close to the real thing. By the way, I have used only 8 oz. dressing, but I thing I'll try the 16 oz. next time to improve it.
Excellent I just fixed this for my family and they all loved it and said it tasted just like the real cafe rio. Great recipe and great job... Thanks