Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
Yum, Yum! A tomato base spicy dish, serve over rice or noodles. I love spicy and I created this dish, instead of the hum drum sausage & peppers. Very tasty! I like it over rice, my husband prefers it over pasta, almost like a pasta sauce. Adjust the red pepper flakes and banana peppers to taste.
- 680.38-907.18 g hot Italian sausage (some butcher counters have the best!)
- 1 red pepper (cleaned & sliced- 1/4-inch slices long)
- 3 onions, sliced
- 4-6 yellow banana peppers (sliced long)
- 4.92-9.85 ml garlic, chopped
- 14.79 ml italian seasoning
- red pepper flakes (dash as spicy as you like!)
- 1 tomatoes (sliced thin)
- extra virgin olive oil
- sugar (dash or two)
- salt or pepper
- 822.13 g whole canned tomatoes (use about 3/4 of can-crush with fork-or use whole can for more sauce)
- 118.29-236.59 ml parmesan cheese (can use more to thicken)
- 59.14 ml wine (pino grigio or white wine)
- Boil italian sausage in seperate pot with about an inch of water and cover.
- In 2nd pot, add oil, onions and garlic and cook til onions start to be tender (about 5 mins).
- Add all peppers and sliced tomato to 2nd pot.
- When peppers are close to done (tender), add crushed tomatoes, italian seasoning, salt/pepper, sugar, red pepper flakes and parmesean to 2nd pot and heat (add more parmesean to thicken a bit if needed).
- Check sausage to see if water is reduced and start to fry sausage.
- Add wine to sausage pan (deglaze) and scrape up bits with spatula, heat a bit. (Sausage can be cut too preference).
- Add 2nd pot to sausage, heat and mix.
- Put all ingredients in casserole dish and keep warm until ready to serve.
- Serve over rice or pasta.
- **Variation: Add mushrooms or green peppers**.