Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Sinfully delicious! Visited Boston and adapted a recipe that I ordered that was not your standard boxed mac & cheese!
- 1 lb pasta, cook almost through (I used penne pasta)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups cheese (I used 2/3 of a brick of 16 oz of both Montery Jack & Sharp Cheddar, break into chunks)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- Cook pasta--half way through prepare sauce below.
- Simmer butter, flour.
- Add milk until slightly bubbly.
- IMPORTANT!--Remove from heat--add cheese. Mix cheese but do NOT completely melt (will be too thick). Unmelted chunks will melt in oven.
- Add beaten eggs and salt and mix.
- Put pasta in casserole dish and pour mixture over, and stir.
- Add ½ cup bread crumbs on top of casserole (I used Italian Style). Sprinkle plenty of Paprika, on top.
- Bake covered, at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover and put under broiler to brown top.
- ***(Leftover Option: (fried mac & cheese)***.
- Cut into squares and coat with breadcrumbs. Sauté/fry in skillet (oil).
- OK-didn't say it was healthy, but good!
This is delicious. Being me I changed a few things. Added McCormick's Tuscan Spice (my new favorite) I used sharp cheddar, colby and Velveeta because that is what I had in the house. Added parmesan cheese to the bread crumbs and smoked paprika. This is a great recipe. Thank you for sharing.
Absolutely out of this world! Definitely not your children's macaroni and cheese. My husband could not stop picking at the crunchy top. Thank you for a wonderful recipe! I would definitely make again!