Recipe by House
I found this tasty recipe from a livejournal community called "esfoodnet", a food comm based on a video game called "Star Ocean 2". I didn't make this recipe (a user named Kotoshin did), but this is delicious, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to post it here. Good for cold nights, but can be served cold too.
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cornstarch
- green food coloring (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour milk into a saucepan. Add vanilla extract. Bring slowly to a boil, turn off the heat and let infuse, 10 minutes. DO NOT REMOVE THE SAUCEPAN FROM THE STOVE. The milk must remain hot enough to 'cook' the egg mixture.
- Use an electric mixer to whisk egg yolks, sugar, and cornstarch together for five minutes on medium speed, or whenever the colour is even and uniform. Whisk in the hot milk. Return to a clean-based saucepan and heat, stirring all the time until the mixture is almost at boiling point and has thickened slightly.
- Plunge the base of the pan in a bowl of cold water for a few seconds to stop cooking.