Recipe by Heli Baker
This recipe works well. store these large cookies in a closed container. (Caution, when opening the container the aroma WILL clear your sinuses). It comes right out of the Mennonite Cookbook (Altona Women"s Institute Cookbook). A typical cookie is large and very thick and should look white not browned. With a bit of a fluffy texture.
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 6 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup baking ammonia
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease cookie sheet lightly.
- Cream Shortening and Sugar, add Cream, Milk and Peppermint Extract.
- Sift Flour and Baking Amonia together; add gradually to mixture.
- Roll out dough on a well floured surface about 1/2" thick max. and cut outwith a 1 1/2 - 2" cookie cutter.
- Bake at 350 F for 10 - 15 minute.