Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
I have not tried this recipe, but it sounded good...Supposedly this is an old Kentucky recipe that is really a cake, but it has always been called a pudding..It is very moist, dark and a bit fruity..and finely grained. The sauce is supposed to be excellent.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup blackberry jam
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons sour milk (milk with drop or 2 of vinegar 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon 1/2 tsp grated n) or 3 teaspoons buttermilk butter (milk with drop or 2 of vinegar 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon 1/2 tsp grated n)
- 1⁄2 cup packed dark brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325*. cream the butter and sugar for 7 minutes in a stand mixer bowl on medium.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, blending well.
- After each addition, then blend in the jam.
- Add the baking soda to the sour milk and stir, then add to the egg mixture and blend well. In small bowl,whisk together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and combine until all the ingredients are just blended.
- Pour the batter into a greased 8x8" pan and bake for 45 minutes -- or the top of cake is golden brown and springs back when touched with your finger.
- Remove from the oven and cool on wire rack. Prepare the saue; in a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the sugars and cream and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Boil and stir for 1 minute. cool slightly, then stir in the vanilla and salt.
- To serve, cut the pudding into squares and serve with the hot sauce.