Recipe by Karen=^..^=
This is my favorite home baked bread recipe. I got it from an Amish cookbook years ago and no other bread recipe I have tried beats it. It is a standard in our house with beef stew.
Top Review by Sharlene~W
Excellent bread with easy to follow instructions. I used bread flour and kneaded (with Kitchenaid) for 15 minutes. Baked one loaf for dinner and rolled the second one out, sprinkled it with a bit of brown sugar, granulated sugar and cinnamon, rolled it up and let it rise overnight in refrigerator. This morning I set it in a barely warm oven for about an hour to finish rising and then baked cinnamon bread for breakfast. Thanks for the recipe!
- 1⁄4 ounce dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups water
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons shortening
- 6 -7 cups all-purpose flour or 6 -7 cups bread flour
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 cup butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water.
- In large bowl, combine sugar, salt, 2 cups water and shortening.
- Stir in yeast mixture.
- Gradually add flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto floured surface and knead until smooth.
- Place in a greased bowl and cover and let rise for about 2 hours.
- Punch down and divide into 2 portions and form loaves.
- Place in greased 9 x 5 loaf pans and prick tops with fork.
- Let rise until higher than pans (about 2 hours).
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool for ten minutes.
- Rub butter all over tops of loaves.
- Place pans on sides until loosened.
- Remove bread from pans and cool completely on racks.