1/20 Photos of Amish White Bread
5 hrs 30 mins
This is my favorite home baked bread recipe. I got it from an Amish cookbook years ago and no other bread recipe I have tried beats it. It is a standard in our house with beef stew.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water.
- 2In large bowl, combine sugar, salt, 2 cups water and shortening.
- 3Stir in yeast mixture.
- 4Gradually add flour to form a soft dough.
- 5Turn onto floured surface and knead until smooth.
- 6Place in a greased bowl and cover and let rise for about 2 hours.
- 7Punch down and divide into 2 portions and form loaves.
- 8Place in greased 9 x 5 loaf pans and prick tops with fork.
- 9Let rise until higher than pans (about 2 hours).
- 10Bake at 375 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.
- 11Cool for ten minutes.
- 12Rub butter all over tops of loaves.
- 13Place pans on sides until loosened.
- 14Remove bread from pans and cool completely on racks.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Amish White Bread
Serving Size: 1 (62 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 145.7
- Calories from Fat 23
- Total Fat 2.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 2.5 mg
- Sodium 203.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 3.3 g