Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Very good recipe! I never had mashed turnips before, but I loved them. Servings are approximate. I can't really remember how many servings I got out of it.
- 2 cups cooked turnips
- 2⁄3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon oleo or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- Cook turnips until tender.
- Drain, mash and then add 1/2 cup bread crumbs, saving rest for top.
- Add egg, sugar, milk, salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix together; pour into greased baking dish.
- Dot with butter and rest of crumbs.
- Bake 45 minutes at 375 degrees.
OMG. I have never had turnips in my life and made this for our Thanksgiving this year. This dish was out of this world! My 11 year old said he would rather have this than mashed potatoes and I think we all agree. Thanks so very much for posting! OUTSTANDING!!!
Because we had so many turnips in our garden I was delighted to find this delicious recipe. My friends seemed to like it too because they keep asking for this recipe. Lyh
Who would ever think that turnips could taste so good?! These are wonderful. My husband said they almost taste like a dessert. My three year old even cleaned his plate (this is a small miracle!). You've even inspired me to grow turnips in my garden this year! Thanks for posting this awesome recipe.