Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
A friend gave me this recipe. I look forward to trying it!
- 1 1⁄2 cups turnips, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups potatoes, grated
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil or 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Thoroughly mix all the ingredients, except the bread crumbs, in a large bowl.
- Pour the mixture into a lightly greased shallow casserole (9 inches).
- Then scatter the bread crumbs over the top.
- Bake for 40 minutes at 375 degrees F.
- Serve immediately.
Nice taste blend with the turnip mixed with potatoes. I did two things differently - I used whipped cottage cheese instead of yogurt and put HaHn Phi Fried red onions (these are like French's fried onions) on top half way throught the baking instead of the bread crumbs. Excellent dish that disappeared very quickly Thanks Barbara
Was an ok dish. Subtle flavours. Halved the recipe. Used sour cream instead of yogurt. Omitted the vegetable oil. Subbed onion powder for the onions, which was a personal preference. Kept the parsley amount the same. Baked for 1 hour at 375 in toaster oven. Served this with Irish Honey Whiskey Sauce and Mashed Root Veggies - "stappa".
We didnt like this at all. It was very bland and just didnt taste good. It would be unfair to give a rating because we've never had turnips before. (I've concluded that we dont like them.) Hopefully this recipe gets good reviews in the future from turnip-lovers.