Recipe by grandma2969
This is an old fashioned open-faced tart...have only seen these in Kentucky or Pennsylvania cookbooks..
- 1 (9 inch) pie pastry
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground mace
Directions See How It's Made
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out pie pastry 1/" thick.
- Using a 3" cutter, cut out 36 rounds and gently press them into shallow tart pans.Set aside. You may need to bake them in batches.
- Preheat the oven to 375*.
- In the top of a double boiler, combine the butter, sugar, corn syrup and salt and mix by hand until well creamed. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well until each egg is incorporated. Add the vanilla and mace and mix well.
- Place the pan over hot but not boiling water and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is dissolved 10-15 minutes.do not overcook.
- Fill each tart 2/3rds full.(no more than 1/2 tbls) and bake directly on the oven racks for 15-20 minutes -- or until golden. Cool slightly in the pans, then remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Store in covered containers, the layers seperated by paper towels.
- These can be frozen.