Recipe by grandma2969
this came from a wonderful cook in Holmes County Ohio..Edna Miller...you can fill with a variety of fillings..from fruit to whipped cream...I have even filled it with German Chocolate Cake Frosting..much easier to serve..if you want a yellow cake roll..omit cocoa and add vanilla
Top Review by Olive*
This is a good chocolate roll. It is very similar to the recipe I use. I only bake mine for 15 minutes. When it is cooled completely, I fill it with a buttercream icing....re-roll it and dust with powdered sugar; then chill it for a couple of hours for easier slicing. An electric knife works great for slicing.
- 5 large eggs, seperated
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons hot water
Directions See How It's Made
- beat the egg yolks, sugar and 3 tbls hot water.
- Beat the egg whites till stiff -- add all ingredients.
- put in jelly roll pan lined with waxed paper and bake for 20-25 minutes at 350*.
- cool in pan 5 minutes -- then invert onto a towel dusted with powdered sugar -- roll and when cool.unroll and fill with filling of your choice -- .